Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Re-Visiting Authors of Yesteryear: Catherine Marshall







I read a very interesting post yesterday by Miralee Ferrell on the History, Heroes, and Heroines blog. It's the beginning of a new series she's doing where she'll be revisiting authors of yesteryear. I loved the post so much I decided to do it myself. And as you can see by the photograph above today we will be revisiting author Catherine Marshall. Catherine Marshall was the author of the 1967 novel, "Christy".






Synopsis:

In the year 1912, nineteen-year-old Christy Huddleston leaves home to teach school in the Smoky Mountains -- and comes to know and love the resilient people of the region, with their fierce pride, their dark superstitions, their terrible poverty, and their yearning for beauty and truth. But her faith will be severely challenged by trial and tragedy, by the needs and unique strengths of two remarkable young men, and by a heart torn between true love and unwavering devotion.




I first read Christy when I was in elementary school. I was a student who read at college level in the 4th grade so I had the option of picking books from the library of that level and as I scoured the shelves a red hardcover caught my eye and as I walked closer I noticed the spine of the book only said Christy. I was immediately intrigued and decided to check it out. What I didn't know was how quickly this book would become one of my lifelong favourites. As the synopsis says above it's the story of 19 year old Christy Huddleston, who leaves the comforts of home to become a teacher to the people of Cutter Gap in the Smokey Mountains. She meets a lot of interesting characters including a Miss Alice who becomes like a second mother to Christy. Reverend Grantland who is the pastor of the mission in Cutter Gap and is also pining for Christy's attention. Fairlight Spencer, the mother of some of the children Christy teaches become her best friend and confidant. And last but never the least she meets Dr. Neil MacNeil the town physician, who soon enough takes a liking to young Christy. The entire story revolves around her relationships with these people and others in town and of her faith being tested with trials and tragedies.


But I will say that I am not a fan of the love triangle in this story between Christy, Rev. Grantland, and Neil. If you ask a friend of mine, Rachel McMillan, who also has her own blog which I'll link below, she say she absolutely hates Grantland. And I have to agree with her. He comes off too protective, overbearing, and to be honest down right creepy. I wish Catherine had focused more on the romantic tension between Christy and Neil. Believe me there is plenty of that. But if you want to know who Christy ends up with then you'll have to read the book for yourself.



Heroes, Heroines, and History Blog: http://www.hhhistory.com/2016/01/re-visiting-authors-from-yesteryear.html

Rachel's Blog: http://a-fair-substitute-for-heaven.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be courteous and kind to one another! Any inappropriate comments will be deleted immediately!